I just got two new books from Amazon today, I saw them and had to order them. Both are part of a series of books I’ve been reading for awhile. I bought The Blood Red Indian Summer by David Handler, part of the Berger/Mitry mystery series and V is for Vengeance by Sue Grafton, part of the Alphabet mystery series featuring the character, Kinsey Milhone. I’ve spoken about Sue Grafton before in a blog post and how much I love her as a writer. The thing I love about her is she has a series I love Series books, especially mysteries but I’ll take a series in any form. I love series because they give me a chance to really get to know a character, in depth and personal. The character almost becomes real to you, my first series was Encyclopedia Brown as a kid, I’ve loved mysteries all my life and Encyclopedia Brown by Donald J. Sobol was just fantastic. If you know of or have kids that like to read this is a great set to start them off with, I also loved the Ramona series by Beverly Cleary. As a teen I started to read the Sweet Valley High series by Francine Pascal and that series is still going on it’s into the hundreds of books now. I read a lot of series now and it’s easy for me get addicted to a series in the last couple of years I’ve picked up a couple but I just enjoy having something familiar when I read, something about series feeds my need for consistency and stability. I want a great book to read but the book being part of a series makes it even better. I just don’t read series but I love books with a common thread. Here’s a list of the series that I currently enjoy.
- Berger/Mitry mysteries by David Handler
- Alphabet mysteries by Sue Grafton
- Easy Rawlins series by Walter Mosley-one of my new ones and I am so thankful I found this, it’s fantastic
- Noir Series by various authors-it does a book of noir stories for cities around the world by that city’s authors. I’ve got a couple of them and I love noir.
- Phillip Marlowe series by Raymond Chandler-got hooked after watching the movie The Big Sleep with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.
- The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith-got hooked after watching the show on HBO then discovering it had a book series attached to it, I almost cried I was so grateful. His writing is brilliant and beautiful.
- Sophie Katz mystery series by Kyra Davis-about a half black/half Jewish amateur sleuth in San Francisco, it’s zany and crazy and fun.
- Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling-well of course I read it.
- Amanda Bell Brown mystery series by Claudia Mair Burney-first off, she’s an extraordinary writer and this series has a lot of surprises I think you’ll be delighted by if you read it. I also read the The Exorsistah series by her.
- Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, I love Sherlock Holmes and am now enjoying the entire classic series of stories.
- Detective Superintendent Peter Diamond series by Peter Lovesey- a new one from across the pond but so far, so good.
- Domestic Equalizers series by Dixie Cash-these are hilarious!
- Hobart Lindsey/Marva Plum series by Richard A. Lupoff- it’s an old mystery series but it’s really well done.
- Joanna Brady mystery series by J.A. Jance-this is good one but she’s got three other series that I want to get started on also.
- Starletta Duvall mystery series by Judith Smith-Levin-excellent series, she passed away a few years ago so she no longer writes the series but if you can find all of them, read them.
- Lizzie Stuart mysteries by Frankie Y. Bailey-smart and enticing reads
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians series by Rick Riordan-brings back memories of my childhood favorites, now I love them.
See I told you I like series, if you’re a mystery reader many of these are fantastic and one or two feature a love story and a couple feature a bw/wm interracial love story. I say check them all out. I always get so excited when one of my series get a new book. With the two new ones I just got today, I’m about to burst and can’t wait to read them. I’m still catching up on the Alphabet mysteries though and still at Q is for Quarry so I got a ways to go till V but I’m looking forward to it. I hope I introduced you to some great reading, enjoy.